Monday, June 13, 2011

Shorter Catechism Answers


Recently there was a discussion going on in this blog that had to do with whether or not God chose people to go to heaven while also choosing others to go to hell. A lot of other issues came up as well, but we will get to those later.  I feel like it is necessary for me to explain what my position is and why I have it. I feel like t his is important because most of the people reading this are of a young adult age. Meaning they probably still live under the authority of their parents. This way, if I explain myself you can take these things to you parents so that you may discuss them.
 I also know many people reading this don't know what I'm talking about. Here is the link to the discussion so that you can catch up. (Session II: Debate) I know that many of you who read the discussion still won't understand why I can believe in such a harsh judgment. Which is the reason why I will be going through and posting a study on question #20: Did God leave all mankind to die in sin and misery? Before I begin, I'd like to explain what The Shorter Catechism is.


"The Shorter Catechism comes from the Westminster Shorter Catechism.

A catechism is simply an instructional guide. It is a handbook of questions and answers designed to teach principles of religion. To "catechize" children is to  teach them to memorize the answers found in a catechism, so that when the catechism questions are asked, the children can reply with the correct responses. Because a good catechism is at the same time concise and thorough, when children have learned it well, their understanding of the basic doctrines of Christian faith can be tested and fond to be complete.

Once, catechisms were used routinely. Church and family worked together to provide the most effective teaching possible for children growing up in Christian circles. Parents would work with their children at home, requiring them to memorize the answers to the catechism (and memorizing the answers themselves, as well).

It is said that if we require our children to memorize by rote, they will only memorize meaningless sounds and words without understanding them. Certainly we do a disservice to our children if we insist that they memorize words they do not understand, while we fail to take the time to discuss, teach and explain the meaning to them. The solution, however, is not to discard memorization as  a teaching method, but to faithfully supply meaning by discussing and explaining."

- Training Hearts, Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on the Shorter Catechism (Introduction)

If more questions arise as to what the shorter catechism is I will post more on the subject. However this should suffice for the weeks scheduled postings. Next week I will continue to post more on Omnibus I. Until then please enjoy and comment away on the upcoming one weeks devotion on question 20 from Training Hearts, Teaching Minds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment